Monday, August 31, 2026

Krishnamurti's observation vs Peter Fenner's Just Sitting -- some notes

Just Sitting vs. Observing “What Is”

Recently, I’ve been practising Peter Fenner’s Just Sitting meditation. It has very few rules apart from sitting in one place and simply doing what you are doing.

I found it relaxing and easy. However, it was sometimes so subtle that nothing much seemed to happen. My mind and body could continue much as they were before.

Krishnamurti’s approach of observing “what is” felt different. When I observed my thoughts, bodily sensations, sounds, and reactions without trying to change them, my mind became noticeably quieter. My body also became more still, and my breathing naturally reduced.

This interested me because I practise Buteyko breathing. With Krishnamurti’s observation, I didn’t have to intentionally reduce my breathing. It seemed to quieten by itself as the mental activity and resistance settled.

For me, the difference is that Just Sitting removes the whole project of trying to achieve something. Krishnamurti’s observation brings more direct attention to what is actually happening.

Perhaps the two can work together. I can begin by observing “what is”. If the mind and body naturally become quiet, I can then stop even trying to observe and simply sit.

Krishnamurti provides the contact with what is happening. Fenner helps prevent that observation from becoming another self-improvement project.

No comments:

Post a Comment